Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Three - Tuesday)

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I think I got a little behind today.

The only thing I managed to get done today was to attach the siding to the north and south walls and put a couple coats of paint on them.

The problem is that these walls were "blocking events": I couldn't construct the west or east walls until they were in place. And I certainly wasn't going to start on the roof until all the walls were up. And the problem with painting is that you have to wait for the paint to dry!

This might be a good chance to talk about one of the difficulties involved in this particular project. The area in which this shed is being built is closely bordered by a 6' fence, the east side of my house, and the rickety walk-out/cellar door to the basement. This means that I have no exterior access to two of the sides of the shed and poor access to the third (but excellent access to the fourth, of course). Since I can't access those sides, there's no way I can install the siding after the stud walls are erected (which is the normal process). So I have to be clever and careful and attach the siding pieces to the stud walls while they're still on the ground allowing for proper overhang. I was slow and meticulous and, eventually, it all worked out okay.

< Previous: Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Two - Monday) <
> Next: Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Four - Wednesday) >

< Preceding: Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Two - Monday) <
> Following: Operation Seven-Day Shed (Day Four - Wednesday) >
Add a Comment


your name
your email (optional)